- The first important structure in Hyattstown was not a trading post or a public house but a mill (see Hyattstown Mill) erected in 1783 along Little Bennett Creek, about ¼ mile up the creek from where the town actually stands.
- Then in 1798 Hyattstown was founded by Jesse Hyatt, a Frederick County farmer. By 1804 the town had six houses; by 1811 there were 12. Two of Hyatt's brothers moved into the town which came to bear their name when a post office was established in 1813. The town was incorporated by the Maryland legislature in 1809.
- Heavy traffic in goods and animals along the "Great Road," today's MD 355, stimulated the town's economy. The town reached a population of 150 in the 1870s and by 1880 the town's Hyatt House Hotel and Tabler Tavern were serving the needs of travelers making their way along the road. Town citizens included 2 blacksmiths, 3 carpenter/undertakers, a carriage maker, shoemaker, doctor, miller, tailor, harness maker, and 2 general stores. The town also hosted 3 churches, and a tannery in addition to the grist mill.
- When the B&O rail line was built further to the west, however, the town's economy shifted to serving the needs of the growing local farm community.
- In March 1986, Hyattstown was designated a historic district by county elected officials. It has one of the largest groupings of relatively unaltered 19th century buildings in Montgomery County.
Historic Davis House, Hyattstown, Maryland